Thursday 6 March 2014

Reflections on a days tasting.... Part 1


Tuesday the 4th of March 2014, 3 company tastings, 1 city and just 1 afternoon to complete it! It is always great to get the opportunity to get out and see what is happening at the annual Spring Wine fairs, what is new what is trending and how new vintages are coming along. For a company like Exel Wines it is always a mission to be able to keep on top of some 10,000 wine listings. Then again we can hardly complain about this being one of our biggest challenges now can we!!

Today we will be going back to some old favourites, discovering some wines we sell but have yet truly discovered ourselves and then the most enjoyable task of discovering a, hopefully new supplier with lots of new treats in store for us! All in all over 100 wines tasted in one afternoon, not bad going even for my good self but don’t worry I will keep this to just the highlights of the day! I am going to, having just read this war and peace type essay on wine back, split the events into two if not three chapters, pre and post lunch.

I must confess we got off to a bad start, an unmanned table and an intriguing sounding Brown Brothers Cienna “serve Chilled.” We missed the serving suggestion and with no-one at the table on hand, helped ourselves to the ambient temperature bottle. Cienna is a delicately sparkling red Pinot Noir, tasting along the lines of a quality Sangria. I have to say it is the first time I have found a sparkling red I have actually said yes, yes I actually enjoyed that in it’s own right. Probably it is the light frizzante nature (not full of Champagne style fizz). At just over £40 per 6 this does not break the bank either.

Then there was the Brown Brothers Orange Muscat & Flora, at £9 for a half bottle I just had to try this. I do not partake in dessert wine every day but when I do find the need for it it tends to be on an occasion where I need a different one each night for a week so I do like to have a few options up my sleeve. I loved that this one did not pour out of the bottle and out of the glass like thick treacle. This carried on to the palette that was refreshingly delicate and I would say great with Pastries and lighter fruit based desserts. Cracking Value.

The Finca Las Moras Cabernet-Syrah was one of the newer offerings, not yet online at Exel but coming soon. I loved this blend the Cabernet keeps it dry and evolving with a punch but the Syrah just adds weight, spice and incredible depth. Expect this to be around £11 a bottle when it comes.

Fresita, this is my first huge top tip. Now it is no surprise that every wine tasting is in danger of getting a bit far removed from the reality of the everyday wine drinker. Fresita is one of those wines that gets somewhat mocked amongst the serious connoisseurs. Me, however, I love it! It is a pink sparkler (Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay) with the addition of fresh strawberries, honestly it is genius and I am ashamed not to have thought of it myself! 8% ABV, slightly sweet but really what is one of the most common notes on light reds and rose wines? Strawberries, well this is the real deal. Think picnic, barbeque and a warm(ish) summers day and a wine that does not take itself too seriously. This one will be communing to Exel Wines VERY soon and I urge you to pre-order it!

Need a Pink Champagne but not a fan of the sweeter, fruitier options out there? Well the Champagne Legras & Haas brut Rose is just for you. If you were blind you would never pick it as a rose.

Terre del Barolo, Barolo. I would not say Barolo would be my first choice and I have no idea why as I love the stuff, honestly it is probably my tight fisted value loving nature. When it comes to this kind of wine I honestly think that the difference an extra couple of quid makes is usually hugely worth it. Well I just found an exception! Terre del Barolo has that wonderful light brown hue, not overly complex but delicious and coming in at under £17 per bottle you simple will not find better value for money than this in any Barolo. The flavours are all there and evolve in the palette, yes there are better examples but usually at twice the price (we will be discussing one in the next chapter).

Misha’s Vineyard provided the undisputed highlight of the day in the form (surprising even to me) of a Riesling! Based out of Central Otago this is cold, southern New Zealand and consequently the Riesling does amazingly well. Medium or off dry in style but in reality 28 grams of residual sugar (I layman’s terms…. Lot’s!). Honestly though it tastes about the same sweetness as a rose prosecco. There are hints of butteriness but it is the fruit explosion that caught me off guard, here is how it goes in your mind. Riesling, mmmmm ok let’s try it but I am expecting the usual mustiness. Oh, not much must a little hint but pleasantly so nice and ripe. Boom, wow I have just had a fruit explosion in my mouth. It is that delay of release of flavour that got me and that makes this wine. At 10/11% ABV this is nice and light and at around £20 or so once it goes online it is not in every ones Monday night budget, but this is a special wine. Oh and the High Note Pinot Noir? Rich, full and complex, this is no ordinary New Zealand Pinot.

Pinotage, I used to hate it then I discovered the more expensive “real” Pinotage. It seems that every time I try a Pinotage the person next to me is commenting on how they just dislike anything red from South Africa. I understand the sentiment and I agree there are some truly awful wines especially in the screw top 3 for £10 category, but please if you find yourself in that position stop for a moment and think of the size and the diversity of the country you are writing off! You will also be writing off the Spier Signature Pinotage. Nice and meaty flavour lighter than expected colour (and this is where many fall down) mild tannins so it does not cling to your enamel for the rest of the day. At under £9 a bottle this is one of just a very few Pinotage I would happily recommend.

Vinho Verde, I have never visited Portugal and consequently I have never before tried this flagship of Portugal, and I call myself a Professional! Well today I did in the form of Enoport’s Vinhas Altas and actually wonderful it was too. If I am honest I had preconceptions of all-inclusive hotel, cheap and frankly only nice on the second or third bottle from this wine and mostly based on comments from others. Well this one has a light spritz on the tongue, and a real lively taste with good but not excessive acidity. Under £7.50 a bottle. There was a rose too, now this reminded me of a time as a youngster in the Grand Canaries when as part of lunch on a tour the tour guide was mixing, and encouraging everyone else to do the same, red and white wine left over’s to make a rose. I was well underage at the time so either I snuck a quick try or I have replicated the effect at University, but the taste is ingrained in my subconscious forever, which I have just rediscovered. The taste is actually pleasant, I think, certainly it is not bad but I am sorry that I can find not better descriptive. You will just have to order and try a bottle!

No comments:

Post a Comment