Monday 24 March 2014

Tried and Tasted - this week's Staff Recommendations

This week, the Exel Wines team have been tasting:
Conde Villar Alvarinho Portugal 2011

Russell Wallace, General Manager
Alvarinho is, not surprisingly, the same thing as the Spanish AlbariƱo. A crisp fresh tropical white wine style but this time from Portugal or more specifically from Minho in the Vinho Verde region of the North West. Personally I had always thought of Vinho Verde as being a type of Portuguese wine rather than just a region, I can only presume that many others who have not been to Portugal think just the same (much like Rioja I guess).


Susan Ross, Logistics Manager
Well, having tempted Russell into letting us taste some Portuguese wines this week, I really wasn’t disappointed with his choice. I’ve recently tried quite a few different Portuguese reds over the last few months and have been extremely impressed with both the quality, value for money, and more importantly the taste, so I was especially looking forward to trying one of the whites.
On the nose, loads of tropical fruit, pineapples in particular, and a touch of green apples, very fresh and appealing. The same aromas lead into a mouthful of fresh pineapple, with not too much acidity which you might expect from a Portuguese wine, quite soft but a good medium bodied weight and depth of flavour. Food match? Mmmm, it didn’t actually make it that far! Another bottle required I think! A nice crisp green salad, bit of seabass with risotto, or just enjoy it on its own.. bring on the summer. Score: 18/20

Ally Moir, Exel Wines Shop
Beautiful presentation, nice pale light colour and a very pleasant pineappley nose. An initial light zing with soft pineapple flavours but unfortunately a rather dry, mineral, almost metallic taste and finish. Well chilled on a sunny Sunday afternoon relaxing and sharing with friends type of wine. Not a great success for me I’m afraid. Score: 13/20

Mark Powrie, Orders Team
In the past, I was a white wine drinker. Of late, I have been enjoying the reds more and more, however I thought that I would go back a in time and try the Conde Villar Albarino. Looking at this wine, it is very light in colour, as soon as I started to pour, I got a aromas apple, lemon, lime and melon coming through. It seemed to be quite fresh, something that could be enjoyed on a spring/summer evening.
First taste gave me those fresh fruits coming through, the zesty lemon and lime hitting the back of my throat, followed by the melon, apple and even a slight hint of pineapple. All reminding me of the summer days. Perfect wine to enjoy in the garden with a fresh fruit salad by your side. I was having chicken last night for tea and it went quite nicely with that also. The flavours did not hang around for long, but I found the wine quite light and fresh.
Being more of a Red wine drinker these days, it was an enjoyable white to take me back a few years and reminisce. Score: 9/20

Dianne Barrie, Company Administrator
Appearance: Clear pale golden. Aroma: Subtle gooseberry with slight herbal notes. Taste: Crisp and dry with pronounced notes of gooseberry, melon and grapefruit, along with a hint of ginger and honey at the end which warms the palate. Light and fresh, but with a good length. Food Matching: Delicate fish dishes like lemon sole or a light coconut-based fish curry. Score: 18/20

Leanne Brodie, Data Administration Assistant
Loved this wine, very easy to drink and probably one of the nicest white wines I have had for a while. A pale yellow colour with slight hints of green and a very pleasant scent of green apples. I found it very fresh and soft and had lovely flavours of pineapple and mango. Very yummy indeed. Can see this one appearing on my staff orders alot! Score: 18/20

Clive Holroyd, Database Manager
Colour: Pale golden yellow with a hint of green.
Bouquet: Lemon, Fresh Linen & Gooseberries.
Palate: Crisp and Crunchy with Olives, Lemon and gooseberry.
Food Matching: Barbecued Salmon Steaks, Oriental food.
Comments: Many many years ago when Mrs. H and I were newly wed we went to a Chinese restaurant in Glasgow. The waiter recommended a Vinho Verde to go with our food and we were delighted as the lemony acidity worked beautifully with Asian spices. We have searched ever since to find an equal and with this wine we have finally succeeded. Score: 18/20

No comments:

Post a Comment