Friday 11 October 2013

This week I 'ave been mostly drinking...

Dianne Barrie, Company Administrator

While out walking this weekend, I definitely noticed a more autumnal feel in the air as leaves on the trees are beginning to turn beautiful shades of red, orange and yellow and the evenings start to draw in once more. Summer salads and barbecues are now a thing of the past as we turn our attention to lovely stews and casseroles to see us through the cold days of winter that lie ahead. Even when grocery shopping I noticed that there’s been a move towards an increased selection of root vegetables. As a result, this also got me thinking about more hearty, warming food, and so I decided to prepare liver and onions for supper last night. While I was quite happily cooking away, I did however consider what wine might be the best choice to accompany offal. Like game, offal is quite distinct in flavour so the wine has to be able to complement this without over-powering it. Lamb’s liver is quite delicate in flavour however, so I decided that a full-bodied red would be just too heavy. I wanted a wine with tons of fruitiness, but without any predominant spicy heaviness to it – so as a result, I opted for a Pinot Noir, and Tinpot Hut Pinor Noir 2009 from Marlborough in New Zealand which was spot on! Full of wonderful fruity flavours of cherries, redcurrants and plums (you’ll note the continued autumnal theme going on!), this is a superb soft wine with delicate and subtle oak characteristics which complemented our meal, including the dessert of bread and butter pudding perfectly!

No comments:

Post a Comment