Friday 23 August 2013

This week I ‘ave been mostly drinking…

Clive Holroyd, Database Manager

You may be surprised to hear that (whisper it quietly) there is a downside to working here at Exel Wines.  I have unwittingly become a wine selector for my family and friends, a role for which I am woefully under-qualified. Sensing that my vastly more knowledgeable colleagues might be tired of my endless requests for recommendations I thought I would just go for it this week. In the good old days before I acquired my unjustified advisory status I chose wines on the basis of a price that worked for me and a grape I trusted. Applying this approach to our stock I came up with Primo Sangiovese/Merlot Italy 2010. I'm sorry to report that my reputation remains untarnished as everyone enjoyed the wine and presumed it was far more expensive than the £7.06 that we're selling it for. Lots of lovely, mouth filling, red fruit flavours and very moreish. We had it with a Mediterranean herb roasted chicken but I think it could have easily held its own against a more strongly flavoured red meat dish.

Dianne Barrie, Company Administrator

I’ve not had a great deal of time for drinking this week…hard to believe I know, but what with hospital radio, dancing and the Lucy Normile Racing Open Day on Sunday, it’s been all go! Having said that, I did have time to enjoy a small glass of Biscardo Soave Classico 2010 with our delicious salmon en croute, new potatoes and garden peas on Sunday evening. There is nothing overpowering about this Soave – it’s a lovely, smooth medium-bodied white and it was the ideal choice to accompany food as it is a wine to be savoured and enjoyed – and a wine of true quality.

Susan Ross, Logistics Manager

Wine production in the UK has made leaps and bounds in terms of growing, production and quality in recent years and there is a good number of English wineries out there which we should all support by sampling and buying their product on a regular basis.  However, it is the English Sparkling market which has really captivated us in recent years with the likes of Nyetimber, who go from strength to strength.  For those of you not in the know, Nyetimber has been established in West Sussex for over 20 years and with a single aim to produce the finest English Sparkling wine, good enough to compete the world over, including Champagne.  It was the very first producer in England to produce a sparkling wine from the “big 3” grape varieties used in Champagne:  Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Pinot Meunier, compared to other sparkly houses in England which were sticking to the more favoured German grape varieties for our cool climate here in the UK. 

Nyetimber Classic Cuvee 2008 is indeed as good as (in some cases, depending on your taste buds’ preference, better than) Champagne.  Now presented in their fairly new and very smart packaging (the perfect gift!), Nyetimber Classic Cuvee has a citrusy and fresh style, lemony but with that lovely biscuity nose which comes through on the palate.  This is light and fresh and a great alternative to Champagne, for those of you inclined to support our home-grown talent, this is a must. 

Ally Moir, Shop Assistant

Ever since we holidayed in Sorrento 5 years ago I’ve been a fan of the Fiano grape and we've now got some in the shop – and guess what?  – its superb. Wonderfully clean and refreshing with quite a bit of depth to it as well. O sole mio.......

So that was Saturday, Sunday it was roast lamb with new potatoes from my own garden mmm – and just to make things even yummier a bottle of Miopasso Primitivo. Just bursting with berries and so velvety smooth. Wow what a weekend!!


No comments:

Post a Comment