Tuesday 5 February 2013

This week I 'ave been mostly drinking


Introducing the new weekly feature, “this week I ‘ave been mostly drinking…”, where we will give you an insight into the office, our discoveries and most importantly what we have been really enjoying from our own cellars.  Everyone here is positively encouraged to try something new and unusual at any opportunity, we like to think of it as salary recycling!

We hope you enjoy reading.

Russell – General Manager - Late January can essentially go one of 2 ways, dying a death as the festive spirit is all but drained, or for a wine company an ideal quiet time to make some new discoveries in the world of wines, beers, spirits and any other goodies we can get our hands on. 

This week I ‘ave been mostly drinking... well actually I haven’t much this week, saving myself for a heavy birthday weekend coming up when I have a few select beers from our shop on ice and ready for discovery.  The one thing that I have tried for the first time, and I have been hoping to get around to it for a long time, is Gin! Not just any old Gin, I am quite the aficionado of the good old G&T, EdinburghGin, and in particular the Raspberry infused Edinburgh Gin.  I knew I would love this from the off not only does it come in a value packed 50cl bottle but also a cuter than humanly possible 20cl bottle.  More than that though; I fancied a reminiscing experience back to my mother’s homemade Sloe Gin that helped wash down last year’s Christmas turkey.  This one is slightly less intoxicating, more of an everyday affair, but with the endless capacities from mixing it with a nice Prosecco (I favour La Farra’s lightly sparkling Collio personally) to a more traditional tonic (perhaps we can call this one an ET?) or as a straight up nightcap.  Magnificent indeed.

 Susan – Logistics Manager- This week I ‘ave been mostly drinking... most nights actually, which is not a regular affair on school nights ..... but I just needed that extra little boost this week.. and it’s a good excuse to up the “good blood” levels by drinking red wine ...and on the subject of excuses....it’s been extremely cold (we are based in Scotland if you didn’t know) and I needed something to warm my blood, as they say!

So, my favourite of the week has been Grant Burge GB51 Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz 2011.  A lovely jammy, deep fruit and fairly full bodied red from the beautiful warm climate of Oz – just the ticket for the cold weather this week.  I could feel my temperature soaring!!

Dianne – Company Administrator - This week I ‘ave been mostly drinking… Moulin de Gassac Premier Selection White. It has to be said that I’m not normally a white wine drinker, but this is such an easy-going drinkable wine... ahem, maybe a bit too drinkable! It’s fresh and crisp on the palate, but with a lovely creamy finish...and it’s so versatile when it comes to food-matching – perfect with roast chicken dinners, pasta, risotto and even delicate fish dishes. This week it’s been my all-round winner!

Kieran – Shop Manager - This week I ‘ave been mostly drinking… whisky, which was a nice antidote to Scotland’s defeat (yet again) to England in the Six Nations. The routine disappointment of being a Scottish rugby fan fortunately does not extend to our national drink, where the Scots are genuinely world-class. Such a moniker could surely be applied to the exceptional Glendronach 21 years old which I tasted with a close friend at the weekend. This single Speyside malt has as much refinement and depth of flavour as any whisky I have tasted in recent years. Particularly evident is the rich sherry influence which comes from the high-quality casks used for maturation: Sweet spice, hints of treacle and Christmas cake mingle with bright barley notes and even soft oak. This is certainly an august whisky, with the style and class that come with great traditions. Glendronach distillery ought to be lauded for its policy of using superior barrels for aging its whisky and will surely reap awards and rewards for this in the future. It is worth every penny (and more) of its £75 price-tag. I can think of other distilleries which charge twice as much for an inferior product.

No comments:

Post a Comment